Monday, November 22, 2004

Betrayal

I'm going to out myself this far to readers unfamiliar with my back story: I live in Vermont. You'll need to know that to understand how nauseated I feel at this news:
WASHINGTON, Nov. 17 - President Bush's nominee for attorney general, Alberto R. Gonzales, was all but guaranteed Senate confirmation today when a leading Democrat expressed fondness for the nominee and signaled that he would not stand in his way.

"I like him," Senator Patrick J. Leahy of Vermont, the leading Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, said today after a closed meeting with Mr. Gonzales, whom he has known as White House counsel.

"I said jokingly that the president, with the majority he has in the Senate, could have sent up Attila the Hun and got him confirmed," Mr. Leahy said. "But Judge Gonzales is no Attila the Hun; he's far from that, and he's a more uniting figure."
No, Attila the Hun was a conqueror. Alberto Gonzales is a torturer.

Contact this Senator who used to be a hero of mine and tell him what you think of moral midgets who "like" those who justify torture: Senator Leahy

This is the last straw for me.

The Democrats can go fuck themselves.
It's the only thing they're good at.

2 Comments:

Blogger Antonius said...

I'm willing to go "greater good" on a whole constellation of issues and appointments, but support for torture isn't one of them. This story literally gave me nightmares last night.

I will not say "yes" to having a war criminal as my Attorney General. They should have to roll over us in tanks before we allow that to happen. I understand the importance of compromise in politics, I also know that it is imperative to draw a line when to compromise means becoming soiled with evil.

I will not change my position on this point, or this post. The Democrats are becoming complicit in torture.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Reductio said...

Perhaps Mr Leahy simply does not realize that the hearings in the senate, where all those good things can happen, will occur even if he does not personally sell his vote to a torture supporter, thereby becoming (morally, if not perhaps under the law)an accomplice after the fact to crimes against humanity.

And "at least he's not Ashcroft" is a pretty low standard to apply for attorney general. Why not just invite Hussein to take the job, after all, he's also a torture supporter who is not Ashcroft.

All that having been said, it is remotely possible that he would not be the single worst choice on earth, and he may have some redeeming qualities. It is just that I am mostly familiar with his support of the Patriot act and of torturing prisoners. Maybe he has a larger body of work other than trampling the constitution (as adjudicated by the supreme court) or supporting crimes against humanity. But he'd really need a heck of a resume to overcome those particular flaws, like maybe if he was able to cure the sick, forgive sins, and raise the dead, then I might reconsider. Short of that it will be a hard sell.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home